[Freedombox-discuss] Policy questions

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Wed May 4 07:20:36 UTC 2011

> A standard tactic for security is isolation of services.
> You put the web server and the mail server on two
> different machines so that an enemy who finds a
> flaw in the web server does not get your mail, and
> vice versa.
>
> Clearly we cannot expect to use a separate machine
> for each FB service, but we need some strategy that
> limits the damage if any one service turns out to have
> a security flaw. Some list posts suggest using virtual
> machines, and that is one plausible solution, though
> costly.

Hi Sandy,

I am the one that suggested virtual machines, and i am using them at
this moment. On my system there are 5 VM's running (4 * WordPress + 1 *
Nginx). The total amount of memory used is 175 MB. Not bad i think.

In my opinion building a FreedomBox without using VM technology is very
dangerous. Not all the software running on the FreedomBox will be mature
and i expect a lot of serurity/stability issues.

Rob van der Hoeven.
http://freedomboxblog.nl