[Freedombox-discuss] Hardware platforms?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sun May 8 02:35:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>> Old PCs? Not everyone, especially in developing
>> countries, has access to or can afford a plug
>> computer.
>
> Then use Debian - that's the universal operating system.
>
> FreedomBox is more narrowly targeted, with additional requirements -
> e.g. being dead simple to use.

> Very little have been done in the area of usability so far.  Being dead
> simple to use is *crucial* for FreedomBox.  It is not a pet toy for us
> hackers to use, but a boring server for our non-geeky friends to use!

Sure. Using the system can and should be dead simple. I am not
sure setting one up can be, though of course this should be
automated as far as possible.

All I'm saying is that if I have an old PC and am able to put
Debian on it and do some configuration work, I should be able to
turn it into a Freedom Box for my own use or that of my non-geek
friends.