[Freedombox-discuss] Tor .onion domains

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Mon May 9 05:36:43 UTC 2011

On 18:16 Sun 08 May     , Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I imagine a box offering these - as yes/no or as gradual sliders:
>
>   * Selfish -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
>     [ ] store own secrets
>     [ ] ask friends to keep backups of my secrets
>     [ ] fetch torrents
>     [ ] connect to Tor
>   * Among friends -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
>     [ ] keep backups of friends' secrets
>     [ ] share files
>   * Public -- [ ] modest  [ ] medium  [ ] mostly
>     [ ] publish documents ( website, blog...)
>     [ ] act as mirror for friends' public documents
>     [ ] contribute to WikiLeaks-like mirror of others' secrets
>     [ ] run a Tor exit node
> The idea is to emphasize egocentric vs. friend-oriented vs.
> world-contributing, and for each sort by how controversial the tools
> are.

I think a sharing page which make a distinction based on the risk rather than
friends vs. public is more straightforward.

Sharing:
( ) no sharing
( ) quick configuration
    ( ) low risk
    ( ) med risk
    ( ) high risk

    ( ) low traffic
    ( ) high traffic
( ) custom configuration

---
Custom configuration
TOR server:
( ) do not run tor server
( ) run bridge node (low risk+low traffic)
( ) run middle node (low risk)
( ) run exit node (high risk)

Backups:
Who should be able to backup data on my machine (low risk)
( ) nobody
( ) friends only
( ) everybody (high traffic)

Whatever you publish or for yourself should not be here. There should be a
separate page where you can configure whether you want to run web/mail/...
servers or not.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com