[Freedombox-discuss] Initial User Experience (was: Tor .onion domains)

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:19:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Yes, let's consider the persona Fei Fei.
>
> Please try describe the initial setup for the persona Fei Fei - if any
> different than for Jim!

For one thing, it is a shared machine. Fei Fei wants several of her
friends to use it. Most of them have the standard Chinese setup,
a PC with software from three disks at $1 each: XP, Office and
Photoshop. They will need Putty, and both they and Fei Fei
will need some instructions. They may need Firefox as well;
most are unaware that browsers other than IE exist.

Some of her friends do not have their own computers. They
want to connect from Internet cafes. Those are strictly
controlled; the management are legally supposed to record
all customers' IDs, though this is not always enforced.

Those machines are typically used mostly for Warcraft and
other games, and security on them is generally amazingly
lax. Not even an anti- virus program, just something that
asks for a password during boot to record your time usage,
then lets you into XP as admin. Anything you save is wiped
on reboot.

Fei Fei owns the machine and has admin privileges. She
and Ting Ting, who has a nice Macbook, can use the box.
No great problem there, we just have to build it and provide
them with instructions.

What about Lan Lan, who has only Internet cafe access?
Is there a subset of box services that she can safely be
allowed to use? When she uses a machine with a key
logger (fairly common in Internet bars, mostly with the
goal of sealing game gold), does she compromise only
herself or does that hurt Fei Fei and Ting Ting?