[Freedombox-discuss] Distributed naming, again

Clint Adams clint at debian.org
Tue May 17 23:05:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:00:58PM -0700, Lee Fisher wrote:
> 1) FB defined some profiles/milestones, specifically, vCurrent that
> is achievable with current/working/proven open source software, and
> vNext that has discussions about undeveloped/unproven neat ideas. Or
> some other project split where current stuff can be focused on, and
> others can dream up new tech for later versions.

I could have sworn that I saw a better page than this somewhere:

http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Roadmap

> 2) Split up FB-discuss into some more focused lists, so UX people
> could talk in one, and people creating new net namespace tech can
> talk about that elsewhere. Perhaps one list for the main handful of
> subcomponents (mesh, encrypted email, fed socnet, etc), and a
> build/distribution list, for those who want to build their own
> devices/VMs today.

I don't think this is a bad idea.  Maybe one of the 19 admins of
the Alioth project ( https://alioth.debian.org/projects/freedombox/ )
could set up additional lists, or maybe they could be hosted
elsewhere.

> Sounds like a fun get-together. Besides the above list, what about
> Tahoe/LAFS storage, Freenet storage/services? What about Handle
> System/DOI namespace tech usage for some of this?

I don't know anything about the naming in Tahoe-LAFS or Freenet;
it would be nice if they were in Debian.  At first glance,
DOI looks hierarchical and centralized.  Am I looking at the
wrong thing?

> There's also a few new IETF efforts that might be useful here two
> (sorry, those acronyms escape me at the moment, perhaps the P4P and
> ALTA areas?). Once I find the right wiki page for this namespace
> idea, I'll update the acronyms later.

Feel free to add things to
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/ExampleProjects
as well.