[Freedombox-discuss] Is / Is Not

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Tue May 31 21:42:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 16:22:56 -0400, Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 10:23 -0400, James Vasile wrote:
> > * Is a torrent client and can use TOR for that purpose.
>
> Is this a typo? Using Tor for BitTorrent traffic is frowned up by the
> Tor Project, and the default exit policy is to block common BitTorrent
> ports, and BitTorrent clients commonly leak information which has the
> capacity to de-anonymize users on the same circuit. I don't see why the
> FreedomBox Foundation would want to recommend this, as it doesn't make
> sense from a political or technical standpoint.

This isn't a typo, but maybe it needs more than a single line to explain
it!

It might be the case that each FreedomBox will need a specially
configured tor/torrent client for talking to other FreedomBoxes.  And we
might need to confine the traffic to FreedomBox tor nodes.  But it is
possible to combine tor and torrent without leaking identity and without
burdening the rest of the tor network.  Exploring that possibility is
well within the goals of this project.