[Freedombox-discuss] I'm new here

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Sat Nov 19 23:57:31 UTC 2011

Hi, Allison and Yosem,

We have some (nascent) working groups devoted to various topics at
<https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/workinggroups/>.  Those identify
areas of need.  The most active group lately is the visual identity
group.  But pick any group.  If it's not populated yet, you can help
steer that effort.  At any rate, it gives an idea of what's needed.

Here's some things you might think about:

If you're into public presentation, we could use some help presenting
the FreedomBox ideas to the public.  Make a 3 minute video or something
like http://dsn-test.com/dsn-vn or anything else that might help people
understand why you think this is important.  I put up some slide show
software at <http://github.com/jvasile/kiss>.  It would be neat if
people made more slides and remixed presentations for each other to
spread the word at conferences and lug meetings.

If you're a systems person, the biggest thing to know is that the
FreedomBox is just Debian and the best way to help is to improve
Debian's privacy software.  I'd love a script that runs on a dreamplug
that gets the box up in a way that lets it act as a wireless router.

If you're comfortable writing code, we have some coding needs: code to
wrap a PGP key in an ssl cert, code to teach Apache's mod_gnutls to do
monkeyspherish things with that cert, and browser functionality to do
monkeyspherish things with that cert.

If you're a network thinker, we would love to know how to answer the
question of how FreedomBoxes find each other on the net across
firewalls, NATs, meshes, dynamic addresses and the like.  And how can we
make that anonymous when it needs to be?  This is a hard problem that is
much discussed, but nobody has grabbed that ball and bashed their way
into the end zone with a solution.

If you want to write documentation, we could use some help in that area.

If you're multilingual, look at
http://freedomboxfoundation.org/translate for ways to jump in.

The configuration UI layer is at <github.com/jvasile/plinth> and needs a
lot of help.  Forget about how it looks-- that will all change quite a
bit.  At the code level, it needs to be improved for organization.  UI
widgets could be written.  And we need a way to connect it to the
configuration subsystem.  Oh yeah, we need a configuration subsystem.

You don't need our permission or approval to hack on any of this.  Go
gather a tribe to make something awesome (or at least better than it
currently is) and we'll go from there.

Welcome to the party and thanks for coming!  If you're stuck on
anything, write back and we'll see if we can figure out a solution.

Best regards,
-James

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:47:09 -0800, Yosem Companys <companys at stanford.edu> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/mixed