[Freedombox-discuss] consumer NAS is getting more powerful

Sat Nov 26 15:59:21 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, 26. November 2011, 12:46:21 schrieb Christopher Ranschaert:
> On Friday 25 November 2011 15:13:20 Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Very interesting device. Does it run Debian yet ;-)
> > This device is for sale in Germany:
> >
> > http://aldi.medion.com/md86407/sued/?refPage=aldi#technische_details_anke
> >
> > For only 100 euro you even get 36 months warranty. Compare this with the
> > one month (YES, ONE MONTH!) warranty of the Dreamplug.
>
> I always thought that for devices sold in the EU, warranty should be 2
> years minimum. How is that compatible with the 1 month of the Dreamplug?
I do not know the exact regulations of the EU law but at least in Germany
there are two different things which could both be translated as "warranty".
The first one "Gewährleistung" is defined by law, has a minimum term of 1 year
and can only be claimed against the vendor of the product. The "Garantie" on
the other hand is voluntarily granted by manufacturer and duration and scope
can be different depending on company and product.

My Sheevaplug came with a one year limited warranty from Globalscale (so they
adapted to EU law here) but that didn't help me when the PSU broke after 11
months since they didn't even reply to my request. Since it would have been
too expensive to sent it to the USA anyway and I didn't want to have the
broken PSU replaced with another of the same defective type I had it replaced
with a better third party PSU by someone in Germany. So you see, it's not
always easy.

Kind Regards
Helmut