[Freedombox-discuss] timer entropy

Frank frank at debian-nas.org
Tue Oct 4 12:36:51 UTC 2011

Hi Sandy,

great to see efforts to create additional sources for entropy. I took the
liberty of reading the accompanying PDF paper in the FTP repository for
maxwell. In the paper the claim is made that HAVEGED is only
'pseudo-random'.

Do you mean to say with that statement that the crucial difference between
HAVEGED and maxwell is, that maxwell never over-estimates the entropy it
seeds and HAVEGED potentially does? If yes, can you give me practical steps
on how to measure that this is actually happening on my systems, on which I
use HAVEGED? Up to now I have never had any reason to doubt the quality of
entropy data generated by HAVEGED (tested with, for example, ENT).

Regards,
Frank