[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:51:11 UTC 2011

On 13 October 2011 03:10, Bo Fussing <bo at cantosoft.com> wrote:
> The team behind Diaspora seem to have spent all their initial funding and
> are now appealing for more. Given how slow the project has progressed I
> truly wonder if they will get any more and be around to realise their
> vision:
>
> http://blog.diasporafoundation.org/2011/10/12/we-love-you.html?

Wish them the best of luck, but diaspora is one of at least a dozen
projects of its kind.  Diaspora just has the best promotion.

But like all projects of its kind, after 6 months to 2 years, it fills
a niche and does not seem to gain more traction.

Right now the only thing I see that scales, is the facebook open graph
protocol, and that class of solution, which is deeply integrated to
the web.

The problem is that most people (perhaps understandably) want to build
their own thing, reinvent the web etc.  rather than leverage what
exists already

I'd love to see this approach one day finally hit jackpot, but I've
yet to see anything (other than the web itself) that can be a
compelling challenger to the big sios.