[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora

Weaver weaver at riseup.net
Fri Oct 14 20:09:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:41:14 +0200
Brandon Invergo <b.invergo at gmail.com> wrote:

> No sooner did I write that defense of Diaspora than I read this
> article:
> http://allthingsd.com/20111013/at-lunch-with-diaspora-the-non-profit-open-source-social-network-built-by-outsiders/
> In which they float the idea of charging people for running a pod. At
> the same time, a friend on Facebook who has been waiting for an
> invite to joindiaspora.com was talking about how he felt that they
> were soliciting invites in exchange for donations. I'm assuming he
> just got the same email as everyone else asking for donations but
> since they also sent it to the people waiting for invitations, it was
> difficult not to make that assumption.

<snip>

That's definitely happening.
I'm still waiting for an 'invitation' and got the email asking for $25
with the assurance that everybody donating wouldn't have to wait any
longer.
Young blokes beginning to see the uptake of a new project and eyeing
Zuckerburg potentials is how I see it.
If it carries on I might be declining the 'invitation' before I receive
it.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"