[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora FreedomPod

Timur Mehrvarz timur.mehrvarz at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 16 10:25:01 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 11:41 AM, Yosem Companys wrote:
> We're inspired by Eben Moglen
> http://nymag.com/news/features/establishments/68512/, so our
> goals are consistent with FreedomBox.

Hi Yosem,

Diaspora* developers decided to NOT use PGP encryption, mainly because
Diaspora* users would NOT usually own the server they are running on. Of
course, people can not be advised to put their private keys on servers
that are not under their control [1].

But what if lots of people start running Diaspora* on their own little
FreedomBoxes? How hard would it be to provide full PGP encryption for
these users? My own "FreedomPod" should be able to talk PGP to other
"FreedomPods" for which I got public keys. When talking to any other
Diaspora* instance, the default encryption would be used. (Which could
be phased out by the time everybody is running a FreedomBox. Partly
kidding.)

Kind regards,
Timur

[1] Pretty Good Diaspora: