[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 10:30:41 UTC 2011

On 16 October 2011 11:41, Yosem Companys <companys at stanford.edu> wrote:
> This post may be of interest:  Diaspora* is not about killing Facebook or
> Google+. It's about reinventing the social
> web:http://joindiaspora.com/posts/433064
> Diaspora* is all about protecting the open web and fighting against walled
> gardens.  We're inspired by Eben
> Moglen http://nymag.com/news/features/establishments/68512/, so our goals
> are consistent with FreedomBox.  Another good piece is this one:
>  http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/the-making-of-diaspora
> Our funding goal is to raise as much as we can to keep
> the http://diasporafoundation.org/ going and sustain our development.   We
> raised $250K via Kickstarter last summer, which lasted us over a year.  If
> you want a tangible number, my personal goal would be to raise $1 million
> per year so we can support Diaspora* community spaces where our open-source
> developers can work face-to-face to greatly expand our development efforts.

Thanks for the links, again, interesting reading.

So your goal is to raise $1m and "reinvent" something similar to the
WWW, but more social.  However do you realize that the WWW was
designed to be social from day 1?

Already had several hundred million profiles, and billions of
companies products and services etc. linked in a cloud aka "linked
data".  Facebook interoperates with this cloud, does diaspora?

Facebook is criticized in your post for being analogous to AOL,
however, I can link from any page on the web, to a machine readable
version of a user profile on facebook, using Web Stanards.  Again I
know that David Recordon of Facebook took time out to  work with Tim
and Dan Brickley on this.  e.g.

curl -H 'Accept: text/turtle' http://graph.facebook.com/jesserweaver

Matt Lee and the GNU social folks sat with Tim Berners-Lee before they
started design, and he explained how to continue this work and
integrate smoothly.

The easiest thing in the world is to say you're going to use
standards, and then invent something bespoke.  I'm not the greatest
fan of Facebook, but people point fingers at them, but they have made
an effort to interoperate.  The impression I have to date is that
diaspora 'pods' primarily link to other diaspora pods, rather than
heterogeneous systems, is that correct?

Diaspora is obviously good at fund raising, and I wish you the best of
luck trying to raise the million dollars.  At a minimum, it's great
publicity for the concept.

However, making the WWW social has been on the agenda from day 1 and
has been an ongoing effort from an extended community, for over 2
decades.  Id encourage you to be as keen, to join with others working
towards the same goals, as you are to raise funds, or even create new
technology.