[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 12:04:57 UTC 2011

On 16 October 2011 12:49, Yosem Companys <companys at stanford.edu> wrote:
>> So your goal is to raise $1m and "reinvent" something similar to the
>> WWW, but more social.  However do you realize that the WWW was
>>
>> designed to be social from day 1?
>
> If by "your goal" you mean "my personal goal," then yes.  I can't speak for
> the whole community, but that is my own personal goal.  There's a lot of
> interesting stuff we could build with that sum of money.
> The goal is NOT to create something more social than the WWW because I know
> sociability was the goal of the WWW.  The goal is to open up walled gardens
> that attempt to fragment the open web.  The problem is that in many cases in
> practice that sociability has become circumscribed to machine-to-machine --
> NOT person-to-person -- interactions, which has been an unfortunate
> development in the open web's evolution.
>

>> Facebook interoperates with this cloud, does diaspora?  The impression I
>> have to date is that
>> diaspora 'pods' primarily link to other diaspora pods, rather than
>> heterogeneous systems, is that correct?
>
> Any existing social networking site or website could connect with Diaspora*
> today.  Our first app Cubbi.es is an independent web app that resides in its
> own native environment on the WWW and connects with Diaspora* as well.  No
> need for developers to work on Diaspora*-specific apps, as they'd have to do
> with, say for example, Facebook.
> At Diaspora*, we believe in standing on the shoulders of giants, meaning
> that we never reinvent the wheel.  We integrate existing standards and
> technologies whenever possible.  It just makes sense to do so, as it cuts on
> development time.
>

>> I'm not the greatest
>>
>> fan of Facebook, but people point fingers at them, but they have made
>> an effort to interoperate.
>
> It's well documented that, when developers have tried to get Facebook user
> personal data out of Facebook, Facebook has often made it difficult to do
> so, if not outright prevented them from doing so.  For Facebook,
> interconnectivity is asymmetric.  They are OK with your bringing data from
> anywhere on the web into Facebook, but they are not so keen on your taking
> it out.  If you take too much out, they arbitrarily put a stop to it.  And
> they have done so even in cases when Facebook users themselves have wanted
> to take their own data out of Facebook.

Yosem, thanks for the response.  I'm not 100% sure you fielded my
queries, but I've taken the opportunity to review the 'Federation
Protocol' on your wiki.  I feel perhaps not as much is being done
terms of interop, at this time, as it could be.  If I get a chance
I'll post some feedback to your mailing list, tho I know you're
already members of the Federation Community Group, which is a good
start.

Wish you the best of luck with your goals, keep up the great work
spreading the message that the social web, needs to be secure,
decentral and free!