[Freedombox-discuss] Allied Efforts.

DaveM dave at posteo.de
Thu Oct 20 10:21:32 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 07:04 AM, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Timur Mehrvarz
> <timur.mehrvarz at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 20.10.2011 02:59, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
>>> We are also actively engaging in the IEEE 802.11 standards process to
>>> get ad-hoc fixed (ask me if you need information about the problems
>>> with using ad-hoc WiFi to form mesh networks)
>>
>> Are these radio related issues or are API's missing? Can you elaborate?
>
> Android (even IcecreamCake) lacks APIs to access ad-hoc WiFi.
> As a result, we need root access, and then we need to figure out how
> to control the wifi chipset and associated drivers on any given model
> of cell phone.  We have a paper coming out later in the year that
> describes some of the foo we have had to do to generalise this process
> as far as possible.

Hello.

Here are some new 'IcecreamCake' specific API's:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/package-summary.html

http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/WiFiDirectDemo/index.html

"Android now supports Wi-Fi Direct for peer-to-peer (P2P) connections
between Android-powered devices and other device types without a hotspot
or Internet connection. The Android framework provides a set of Wi-Fi
P2P APIs that allow you to discover and connect to other devices when
each device supports Wi-Fi Direct..."

Sounds useful, doesn't it?

Timur