[Freedombox-discuss] Hello?

Camilo Arturo camarcabz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:33:21 UTC 2011

Hello, I go online by Conzeit. I'm a graphic artist honestly I dont have
much to do with Freedombox, except I feel inspired by Eben Moglen's talks. I
saw in some talk that you had need for people who could make an interface
that was for the average user instead of geeks, and while I dont have any
programing skills I thought I could at the very least help with the purely
graphical aspect of the interface, but if you were so kind to tell me what
skills are necesary for the end-user gui aspect of Freedombox deveopment, I
could use Freedombox as a motivation to learn these skills.

I also am a native spanish speaker, so maybe I could help out with
translations as well.

I am also interested in the idea of leaving the cloud and data mining
supported services in whatever capacity I am able to do so. Right now I dont
have many skills for doing that, I'm just getting started using linux, so my
distro is Ubuntu and I find even that a little complicated, for instance the
graphic program options are more limited. I've been slowly replacing my
online services with the lists

- http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/ExampleProjects
- http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/leavingthecloud
- http://wiki.autonomo.us/Wish_list

As you can see by my email being on google I have only done it in a few
services, and on the few services that I've moved I have noticed they all
encourage you to run them "on your own server" I know that linux is supposed
to be capable of doing this but I honestly have no idea how to do that. Can
I set up a server with a spare laptop and my normal broadband connection and
use it as a FreedomLaptop of sorts? or do I have to wait for the actual
freedombox to come out?

I hope I dont disrupt the mailing list with this message, I have been a
member of internet forums before but I've never been part of a mailing list
so I dont know what netiquette to follow. Please keep up the good work!