[Freedombox-discuss] SugarSync & Wuala

Jarno De Bruyn jarnodebruyn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:21:11 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

SugarSync (https://www.sugarsync.com/<https://www.sugarsync.com/products/security.html>
)
Wuala (https://www.wuala.com/ <https://www.wuala.com/nl/learn/technology>)

I don't know whether this has been posted yet, but I find the following
service to be very interesting for this project.
By using cloud-services as a sort of "private vault / locker system", you
could use synchronization for making (incremental) off-site backups. The
amount of money you pay for your space depends on the amount of data you
generate / want to keep save. If your Freedombox (+ single hard disk /
multiple external hard disks / RAID-1) would go up in flames, there's still
an image available in the cloud. Yes, your backup sits in a cloud-service so
yes, we will need good encryption.
Yes I know the goal is to extract our data from the cloud, but I think one
of the bigger issues for people making a switch / change to a Freedombox, is
the trustiness / redundancy of the system. Two external hard disks will
solve your redundancy locally, that is true. But I think we need to raise
awareness to the users that implementing off-site synchronization is
important too.

I don't like to put one company in the spotlight, so we could offer the user
a choice out of multiple providers. But I want to stress the SugarSync &
Wuala service instead of Dropbox (for example) because of security reasons.
Wuala is based in Switzerland by the way, which has some of the strongest
privacy regulations in the world.

Though there is still another proposal, which opposes the whole idea I just
presented (or might work in collaboration with): Could we depend on other
Freedombox peers to hold the pieces of a distributed backup of some sort of
our private data? How would the algorithm spread the data in such a
"collectively distributed storage space"? What would be the limit (disk
space, user defined ratio, ...)? What if a lot of users turn such a service
off?

Greetings,
Jarno