[Freedombox-discuss] DHTs and Names

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Thu Sep 1 06:38:30 UTC 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 8:09 AM, John Walsh wrote:
>> I'm not sure someone will have a good answer to this
>> question, as you raise an issue that is for sure not that
>> easy to solve (also called nowadays the Zooko triangle).
> In the Zooko triangle, I think the least important property to FBX
> is human
> readable names because a non-human readable name can act as a "Zooko
> pseudonym" (my words) in protecting people's privacy. Before Google/
> search
> there was a need for human readable names to try to find anything on
> the
> internet. Nowadays people use meaningless short url's in twitter.
> IMHO,
> mobile numbers are not human readable and I rely on my address book to
> interpret who is calling me. My Facebook home page is not human
> readable.

hi

my facebook page is ,  but the url is blocked from this mailing list :)

> Do you think human readable names are important to FBX?

of course it is !!!  who can remind such an adress ?  2001:0:53aa:64c:
0:3ffc:b1cf:75ea

greetings

P.S. Is there any existing RFC´s  or papers about how DNS binds to
ipv6 multicast adresses ?
I guess some of you saw a ipv6 multicast adress in the past allready ,
but how does an adress refer to a service ?
How does bind for example know that  http://ipv6.let.de is a multicast
adress ? In videolan you need to past the Ipv6 multicast adress IMHO
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses/ipv6-multicast-addresses.xml

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231