[Freedombox-discuss] DHTs and Names

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Fri Sep 2 07:34:38 UTC 2011

 Hi Marc,

> Behalf Of Marc Manthey
>
> > Do you think human readable names are important to FBX?
>
> of course it is !!!  who can remind such an adress ?
> 2001:0:53aa:64c:
> 0:3ffc:b1cf:75ea

People can't remember, which is the reason we have address books for our
contacts and bookmarks for websites - memory tools. Bookmarks list the
"title" of the page *not* the web address. AFAIK, Contacts lists the
"display name" of an email address rather than the actual email address.
Basically, at the time of capture for these "difficult to remember items"
the user has the option to customise these details e.g. I have "Mum" on my
phone while my partner lists my mum under her full name; we click on the
customised name not the number.

Nowadays, you can type your search into the address bar of a browser, i.e.
address' are losing their importance. In the google search results you click
on the webpage title rather than the url because Google thinks people find
that of more value than the url. I don't type urls from memory in the
address bar anymore and web page links will use "click here" before they
even think about a full blown hyperlink\o/

I do think human readable addresses are "nice to have", but I don't think
there is a genuine *need* for them anymore, especially in this age of short
urls. That's why I don't think Zookos triangle is a genuine problem. Since
we have the memory/search tools, I just don't think there is a need for
human readable addresses.

-- fiftyfour