[Freedombox-discuss] DHTs and Names

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Fri Sep 2 11:46:24 UTC 2011

>> For example (this is a hand-wavy sketch, not a concrete proposal):
>>
>> 0) a freedombox could be known by the fingerprint of its
>> public key (non-human-readable, OpenPGP or some other
>> fingerprinting standard)
> Agree. A couple of months ago I wouldn't have understood this
> sentence\0/

same with me :)

>> 1) the freedombox itself could publish its own routing
>> information (DNS records?  something else?), signed by its
>> own public key so that it is clear (and verifiable) how to
>> reach the machine at the moment.
> Same as 0.

sounds good to me.

>> 2) individual users could choose to publish (some of) their
>> petname bindings in a way that is cryptographically
>> verifiable, thereby creating third-party introductions with
>> human-readable names.
> My understanding of this sentence is that you are effectively
> sharing your
> address book with a friend (third party). This sounds like a Facebook
> Friends list, which clicking on one of those friends links takes you
> to an
> unreadable url.

remind me on....

The addressbook is a web-of-trust driven secure, distributed, and
human readable naming system, sacrificing only the call for all human
readable names to be globally unique by mandating only local uniqueness.

http://www.i2p2.de/naming.html

> I do want to understand the problem, but I can't see the problem.
> What is it that I don't see?

The problem is IMHO, that most or lets say some people dont want
centralised DNS , whitch would give us the ability to "register " a
global hostname and prevent the problem with duplicated names.

Marc

> -- fiftyfour

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231