[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox at Software Freedom Day

Chris Erardi amatocianmonk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 06:07:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM, John Walsh <fiftyfour at waldevin.com> wrote:

> > I see little to "sell" at the current stage, apart from
> > dreams and opportunities to contribute.  I find the wiki
> > appropriate for that.
> I think we need to sell the "dream" better to draw in more volunteers and
> donations. It's too confusing now.

I agree with you fully on this point. The dream can currently only be sold
to those who are technical enough to understand where the project is, and
where is intends to be. I have personally found myself having a difficult
time explaining the "dream" to people around me. It usually takes hours and
several hypothetical situations.

But in that, I have noticed one important thing. No one enjoys hearing me
talk about DNS, or free software philosophies; they like to hear about the
"future", and all of the fantastic things this project will enable.

Perhaps things are nice the way they are now, in terms of building interest
amongst the technical minded people. Though a jobs board would be nice... We
don't mind the debian blend, some of us actually enjoy it. But perhaps it
would be beneficial to increase donations and public interest/support by
developing a more media-friendly website for the project. One which would
not contain technical details, or IRC logs, but which would contain teaser
content to make people's mouths water. Videos which show people using the
box to set up a personal site, or to get around censorship. Mock-ups and
prototypes.

Naturally, links would exist to the wiki and to the foundation site. Showing
the project in videos in a "this is how it will be" state should make things
seem like less of a "dream" and more of a "next big thing".

--
Christopher Erardi
CEO - Software Engineer - Amatoc Industries