[Freedombox-discuss] Counter-revolution?

Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at fastmail.net
Thu Sep 8 16:30:53 UTC 2011

On 09/08/2011 12:02 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 17:54 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:15:08AM -0700, FreedomBox-Discuss.NeoPhyte_Rep at OrdinaryAmerican.net wrote:
>>> It's not unusual for the existing cartels to use all their tools to
>>> resist a revolution.  How many patents does the FreedomBox Foundation
>>> own?
>>> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/when-patents-attack-could-facebook-be-next-09012011.html
>> How do you sue a software depository?
> Lawyers.
>
> Lots of lawyers.

[snip]

Getting paralyzed with patent worries is far too easy to do.  Sadly that
happens to be the state of the market now.  The urge to litigate must be
replaced with the urge to innovate.

If we can pick three or four things for the first iteration to do and do
well, that'll be a good way to ensure we can limit the patent worries.
The big list on the wiki of things to have FreedomBox do is way too big
at the moment anyhow.  With some narrowing of scope this potential
roadblock might be surmounted.

SMK