[Freedombox-discuss] Is FreedomBox interested in using Retroshare?

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:49:19 UTC 2011

On 11 September 2011 23:37, drbob <drbob at lunamutt.com> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
> I'm glad you've already had a chance to try out Retroshare.
> We've improved a bunch of things since last year, especially firewalled
> connections.
> The GUI remains a little bit "Retro"... hence the name ;)
> We hope to get a Web Interface in place - which should make Retroshare
> more suitable for mini-server based system like the freedombox
> As Keith pointed out, we build packages for both debian and ubuntu systems,
> though we are not officially part of the debian distribution...
> Is this important/essential for inclusion in the freedombox?

Thanks Mark.  My understanding is that this list is oriented towards
debian based solutions.

Web solution sounds awesome.

I've installed the new version on my (ubuntu) desktop

For those interested in doing this, here's one way:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:csoler-users/retroshare
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroshare

It hooked right up with my GPG public key (which is also my WebID),
nice integration.

Perhaps we can get a few freedom box users in the secure message area.
 Look forward to chatting!