[Freedombox-discuss] Is FreedomBox interested in using Retroshare?

drbob drbob at lunamutt.com
Tue Sep 13 13:07:12 UTC 2011

I thought the point of freedombox was to provide privacy and control of your data?
This is exactly what Retroshare tries to do - in a fully decentralised manner ;)

I'd rather not just focus on file-sharing features either...
Which other systems provide fully-decentralised forums?

------

Marc, if you are interested in anonymity... Retroshare provides strong anonymity.
Certainly better than bittorrent or other file-sharing networks like Mute.

The key is to build a trusted link-level network on which the file-sharing can take place.

We use the "Turtle" protocol - developed by Tanenbaum's group from the Vrije University.

Here is a link to an academic paper describing the "Strong Anonymity" features of Turtle:
http://www.turtle4privacy.org/documents/sec_prot04.pdf

and the wikipedia page on Turtle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_F2F

Mark.