[Freedombox-discuss] Chef and Puppet experts?

FreedomBox-Discuss.NeoPhyte_Rep at OrdinaryAmerican.net FreedomBox-Discuss.NeoPhyte_Rep at OrdinaryAmerican.net
Tue Sep 13 20:13:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Silvio - silvio at fluxo.info wrote:

> I'm far from being an expert in Puppet, but I do have a SheevaPlug configured
> by Puppet and it runs smoothly.
>
> Puppet usually fills the gap between the configuration shipped in a package and
> the one needed by the user/admin. The more a package config has a desired
> configuration, the less puppet is needed for that purpose.
>
> --
> Silvio

Could you provide more information about how you used Puppet to
configure your SheevaPlug?

Why did you decide to use Puppet?  (I imagine it is part of your
normal tool set.)
Where is Puppet running? On the SheevaPlug?
Where are the manifests Puppet is using?  On the SheevaPlug?
What did you have Puppet change on the base SheevaPlug configuration?

You get the idea.  The more you can share about how you used Puppet,
the better we can evaluate whether it is a useful tool for our
purposes in the FreedomBox project without repeating all the work you
have done.  (Thank you for doing the work, by the way.)

Also,
Would it make sense to publicize the FreedomBox project on the Puppet
mailing lists?  Do you think the FreedomBox project would be
interesting to the Puppet community?