[Freedombox-discuss] [Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Sep 19 12:00:12 UTC 2011

Hi Nikolaus (cc FreedomBox list),

On 11-09-19 at 01:24pm, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 19.09.2011 um 12:23 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
> > On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 11:06 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> >
> > Surely the best approach, in terms of freedom should be increasing
> > everybody's freedom by using a free firmware,
>
> The real problem is that there are no really small WiFi/Bluetooth
> combo chips on the market where the source code of the firmware is
> open. They simply don't exist. Or are hidden behind other obstacles
> (minimum order quantities).
>
> This is the other approach started by the OLPC project - write a
> completely free implementation of the firmware from scratch.
>
> If enough developers volunteer to complete what OLPC has started, this
> would IMHO be the better approach. Since it allows everyone to use the
> non-free BLOB without unnecessary hardware. Until we have a free
> alternative.
>
> BTW: the Gumstix people could also be interested since the Overo also
> uses the same WiFi/BT combo.
>
> Anyone here with good connections?

I already mentioned your project at the mailinglist of the FreedomBox
project which (currently) uses the DreamPlug, containing same Marwell
chip:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-September/002795.html

Hereby also mentioned this mailinglist and particularly its discussion
on the road to true freedom (which is vague at the project page).

Kind regards,