[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox in the Chronicle of Higher Education

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Sat Sep 24 00:43:58 UTC 2011

On Sep 24, 2011, at 2:28 AM, Nick Daly wrote:

> Marc Manthey <marc at let.de> writes:
>
>> On Sep 23, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Rick wrote:
>>
>>> It looks very much like a dreamplug, I have two.
>>>
>>> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-dreamplugdetails.aspx
>>
>> This device costs about 249 $, the cheapest plug device i found was
>> the sheeva plug  99 $ and a mesh potato for 119$
>> http://store.villagetelco.com/mesh-potatoes/mesh-potato.html
>
> Actually, no, the DreamPlugs are $149 (I bought one 5 days ago, I'm
> sure).  How did you get to the $249 total?  Granted, the lower price
> isn't a lot better, but still only 6x the price instead of 10x the
> goal.
> Also, you have to factor in both production scale and related
> products.
> The more units Globalscale produces at once, the cheaper it becomes.
> The more producers competing to produce units, the cheaper it becomes.
> Either of those will happen only with relatively large-scale
> purchasing.

i ve just klicked here (add to chart and is says 249 $

https://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-8-d2plug.aspx

>> Its beeing far from eben moglens vision to have such a device for
>> 25 $.
>
> See above.  It's not there yet, but as it becomes more popular,
> it'll go
> down in price.

No we need to get in contacts with an asian manufacturer and put
the thingy together like the software :)

So , Does anyone have contacts to chinese /asian manufacturers ?

cheers

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
site: http://let.de
project : http://stattfernsehen.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast/
Buy me: http://on.let.de/BUYme

Please think about your responsibility towards our environment: Each
printed e-mail causes about 0.3 grams of CO2 per page.