[Freedombox-discuss] The Freedombox Economy

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:05:07 UTC 2011

On 25 September 2011 15:58, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:07:35AM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> Just a crazy thought:
>>
>> Why not create a bitcoin derivative and put it on the freedombox
>> (perhaps also with opentransactions as glue)
>
> There is no reason to not allow a nonmining bitcoin client on
> the system to be on the standard depository, at least as an
> installable option (bitcoin clients needs both storage and network
> bandwidth even when nonmining, so activating it by default
> would not a good idea).

The current client is non mining by default.

Just to be clear the proposal is not to use bitcoins themselves but to
create a fork specifically for FBX.  All bitcoin chains start with the
number "1" ... however the derivatives could start with, say FBX.  And
the rules of the system could be tweaked appropriately according in
the fork.  Other projects such as solid coin have taken this approach.

B/W IS an issue.  But the proposal is to leverage the mass power of
the FBX network essentially with an aim of reducing hardware cost
(hopefully to zero!) thereby achieving mass penetration.