[Freedombox-discuss] prosody vs ejabberd

k. kloschi at subsignal.org
Wed Sep 28 21:28:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 15:17 -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> I could use input from people who have *actually used* prosody and/or
> ejabberd about your experiences and the resulting pros and cons of the
> two daemons.

I am using prosody since > 2yrs.

* It works very stable,
* is written in Lua (good for embedded systems and probably the language
of choice for another handful of things too).
* even if it might lack needed features we need, the developer is very
approachable and the community there in general *very* helpful
(exceptional even for FLOSS standards imho)
* e.g. buddycloud [1] floss based federated social web works with it
preferred (tho they support ejabberd as well)
* it comes with a debian repo from the developer
* prosody has numerous very stable core modules plus alot of
testing/beta modules which in general are very stable as well

just my 5 cents.
kloschi

[1] https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Install#XMPP_server_setup