[Freedombox-discuss] Puppet/Chef Experts?

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:36:10 UTC 2012

Hello,
I was going to suggest CFEngine 3 too. IMO, cfengine is easier to setup and
has fewer dependencies than puppet (cfengine depends on libc and that's
it). I do not know Chef, so I cannot speak about it.

AFAIK, puppet is bound by default to localhost and changing it to listen to
eth0 was a pain because of the bad "debugging" tools. I've made some errors
during configuration and I had a lot of trouble finding them.

See Puppet errors explained
http://bitcube.co.uk/content/puppet-errors-explained. Also do a search by
"unhelpful" on their issue tracker:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/search/index/puppet?q=Unhelpful&scope=&all_words=&all_words=1&titles_only=&issues=1&submit=Submit.
As you can see there were quite a few unhelpful errors some time ago, but I
haven't tried puppet recently, so the situation may have changed.

But do not take this to mean that you can install CFEngine 3 like apt-get
install wget and you're done.
If you can, try both and see which one you like. Also please post back your
findings.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html