[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Unstable Image 2012.0729 Available

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:32:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:58:09 -0400, Ted Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 17:40 -0500, Nick M.Daly wrote:
> > To use wireless, make sure eth1 can access the Internet during the
> > first-boot process, so the wireless driver is downloaded and
> > installed correctly.  After it reboots, it'll start broadcasting the
> > "freedombox" network, with a password of "freedombox123".
> >
> I'd like to suggest that by default, the Freedombox have no wireless
> network password.
>
> * Having a network password doesn't make you more secure:
>   <https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html>
>
>   * Further, this current default does not provide a security
>     advantage over an open network. This password can be cracked for
>     around $20: <https://www.cloudcracker.com/>
>
> * Locking your network has harmful social consequences:
>   <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement>
>
> Thoughts?

Ted, thanks for sending these links along.  Both of those points are
fair and reasonable.  I think I'd be much more comfortable with this if
we sent all local wireless traffic through Privoxy/Tor first, but maybe
I'm just being overly paranoid.  Opening the wireless network will
generate many fewer complaints than, say, running a high-speed Tor exit
node with a generous exit policy.

Nick