[Freedombox-discuss] freedom on desktop

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Fri Aug 3 15:04:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 14:31 +0100, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> Can someone like me help achieve the aims of the FreedomBox Foundation
> without buying a plug server? Can't I run my desktop as a server, and
> what would be the point?

Because a FreedomBox runs 24/7 the (idle) power consumption of your
desktop computer is very important. I wrote an article about the costs
of running the FreedomBox software on a desktop computer. Compared it
with the DreamPlug and Raspberry Pi.

http://freedomboxblog.nl/cheap-hardware-for-the-freedombox-software/

If your desktop computer has a low idle-power consumption, it can be
(*much*) cheaper to run the FreedomBox software on your desktop computer
than buying a dedicated DreamPlug for that task. If you want to use your
desktop computer i recommend running the FreedomBox software inside a
VM.

Rob.
http://freedomboxblog.nl