[Freedombox-discuss] Software as Data, Transformation as a Service

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:30:20 UTC 2012

On 14 August 2012 17:35, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> In short: we have several groups of folks working on problems of
> standardized, distributed, and data-centric applications.  Why aren't we
> cooperating, or at least communicating, about our problems and
> observations?
>
> ----
>
> Lionel Dricot [0], Dr. Daniel Smith [1, 2], Michiel de Jong [3], Mike
> Macgirvin [4], and Markus Sabadello [5] seem to have come to similar
> conclusions: having a bunch of semi-interoperable applications that do
> the same thing but don't share their data is wasted effort and added
> complexity (it's "silly").  When applications can share their data store
> and give the privilege, responsibility, and complexity of storing their
> data to a separate data layer, writing applications becomes a lot easier
> and the applications themselves become more reliable, flexible, and
> under the user's control.
>
> Here, we have several communities with at least a few dozen people
> working in this problem space, so we should try to communicate and
> cooperate on our shared goals.  In this world of limited resources and
> volunteered time, there's no greater sin than duplicated effort.
>
> I believe that the Unhosted, WebBox, and Friendica projects are furthest
> along in their work, and it'd be interesting to hear which pieces
> they've completed.  We could then start getting ideas of how everything
> can interact, cross project.  Some FreedomBox tools, like Exmachnia [6]
> (and, to a lesser extent, FreedomBuddy [7]), might also be useful here.

I'd be grateful if you could include the W3C "Read Write Web" Community
Group in your list.

Main page: http://www.w3.org/community/rww/
Wiki: http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/Main_Page
Mail List: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rww/

We're less than a year old but have already 50-60 of the top minds in The
Web (including the inventor), REST, Linked Data, VRM etc.

Certainly we're oriented to making web scale standards, and freedombox was
mentioned on our lists yesterday.

There's already some overlap in that we work closely with many (tho not all
yet) of the authors of Webbox, our wiki hosts the Data Connection part of
Unhosted.  Friendica is someone on my short list to talk to.  You may also
be interested in the My Profile project ( https://my-profile.eu/  cc Andrei
Sambra )

We're definitely in the school of thought that federation should be as easy
as possible.  The Web was created by federating different sites through
hyperlinks.  We believe in reusing this powerful web architecture to
connect all sorts of entities other than web pages.  The idea is to
hopefully align as many projects as possible, over the next few years ...