[Freedombox-discuss] remote servers

idra at samba.org idra at samba.org
Sun Aug 19 06:44:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 04:34:04PM +0200, alberto fuentes wrote:
> hi
>
> im looking for a way to install several dreamplugs in several
> locations and be able to connect to all of them without worring about
> firewallshi, im looking for a way to install several dreamplugs in
> several locations and be able to connect to all of them without
> worring about firewalls
>
> i guess a centraliced server to connect to will be needed
>
> i was thinking of running a daemon connected to a central server via
> ssh that gives me a remote port on the servers
>
> the daemon would respawn the ssh if something happens, send me an
> email with a few reports if it cannot connect with basic info, etc...
>
> But before do this, i was wondering if this was a solved problem
> already to not reinvent the wheel...

In the last sprint we added support to easily setup openvpn tunnels between dreamboxes.
At the moment I think Nick made simple to connect 2 dreamboxes but not create a full network.
However if you want to connect 2+ boxes together I strongly suggest you look into the
openvpn setup. Once openvpn works you will be able to access any service from any box w/o
worry of having to portforward stuff or other trickery.

Simo.

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org