[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora becoming a community project

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Aug 30 09:08:08 UTC 2012

On 12-08-29 at 08:29am, Nick M. Daly wrote:
> Simon Tennant <simon at buddycloud.com> writes:
>
> > Simon from buddycloud here.
> >
> > I chatted with Jonas and Bdale during FOSDEM about bringing
> > buddycloud to the Freedombox. If there is anything I can help do to
> > make the install easier or porting it, please let me know. As it is,
> > the team has done a great job documenting the install at
> > https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Install.
> >
> > We'll be hacking from Mozilla's San Francisco offices for the whole
> > of September and hope to make make great improvments to the
> > webclient's usability (the server is 100% complete). If anyone wants
> > to join us, I'd be happy to help with a port to FB.
>
> Simon, I'd be happy to help, though I haven't done much investigation
> into buddycloud.  Happily, it's already in Debian, which cuts the
> integration work in half :)

NB! Buddycloud-server is in Debian, but needs Nodejs which the release
team have so far disapproved for Wheezy: http://bugs.debian.org/684044

> To add buddycloud to the FreedomBox, we need to do two things:
>
> 1. Configure and start a buddycloud server, with FreedomBox-sane
>    defaults, as part of the package installation process.
>
>    Continuing to reach out to Bdale and Jonas is probably the best
>    approach right now: the FBX probably needs weird defaults (or at
>    least a good post-install script to set up a default environment),
>    and understanding packaging is still on my TODO list.  So,
>    regardless of who does it, we need a "you've just installed
>    buddycloud, now let's set up a server configured with decent
>    defaults for the FreedomBox"-script.

Anyone can help with this: Install a Debian unstable system, try install
buddycloud-server, and file bugreports with things not working or
wishlist bugreports for things you want improved.

> 2. Once there, we can add a buddycloud module to Plinth [0], which
>    involves two things:
>
>    A. Being able to get to buddycloud from Plinth (adding a link
>       somewhere, from one web-UI to the other).
>
>    B. Being able to start and stop buddycloud from Plinth (probably by
>       going through ExMachina [1], which is really easy to do [2]).
>
> Unfortunately, we don't have much documentation on step 2.  Right now,
> it's all in James Vasile's head and in the code, neither of which are
> the most accessible documentation.  Soon, I'll ask the list for help
> in documenting Plinth and building a Plinth-for-developers guide, to
> make this sort of thing easier in the future.

The state of Plinth worries me.  It should be in Debian, to have more
eyeballs on it, and so that we can use the Debian infrastructure e.g. to
track bugs and wishes like above for buddycloud-server!

James asked me in the spring (when I visited New York for a week) if I
wanted to help package Plinth.  I agreed, but have heard nothing since.