[Freedombox-discuss] Foundation's 0.1 release

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 02:12:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

I heard Len Sassman say that I2P was broken, plus I couldn't get it to work.
I tried GNUnet _with_ port forwarding and couldn't get it to work.
I haven't looked at Freenet in a long time and see a lot of messages
in Google about problems behind NATs, but I'll take another look.

But I should have qualified my question-- I'm specifically curious about
privacy-preserving software that a) traverses a NAT at the click of a button
(e.g., Vidalia) and b) allows mortals to access content hosted through
that software through the click of a button (e.g., Tor Browser Bundle).

I see Tor listed as part of the base system on the FBX wiki (I2P is also there).
The drawback of Tor's speed is listed, but to me that's a red herring.  If
one of the design goals of FBX is to package/enhance pre-existing
software to meet the users' privacy/data-control needs then I don't see
the alternative.

>>  Will it eventually be possible to plug in a FBX and click a button on
>>  a browser web interface to run a web server as a tor hidden service
>>  and display a simple web page that says "Hello World"?
>
> We could do that, though something more interactive might be a fun
> demonstration of a working FBX.  The PDP-10 (or some other old system)
> had a game you played that ran your system through it's paces to make
> sure your system was in working order, but I can't find it now.

That's fine, but I guess what I'm asking is this: once you have your image
developed to the point where a non-expert can take a FBX with the FBX
software on it, plug it in, and access a basic UI, what is the first basic service
that the box will provide for that non-expert that will help them to do something
that they couldn't otherwise do without the box?

-Jonathan