[Freedombox-discuss] potential new build hardware, "arndaleboard" samsung exynos 5, 2GB ram

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Dec 3 16:20:14 UTC 2012

Quoting Eugen Leitl (2012-12-03 16:01:20)
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 03:39:28PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > It is quite relevant that some of us geeks get familiar with ARM
> > hardware, and one way to do so is to play with geeky ARM hardware,
> > but that does not mean that such hardware is relevant for
> > FreedomBox.
> >
> > Please speak up if you feel I misunderstood, and $249 Arndale boards
> > really do seem to you like relevant hardware for FreedomBox.
> >
> > ...or $450 NorthTec x86 devices, or $199 Trim-Slice devices.
>
> Would 69 USD and 89 USD (with some 30 USD shipping, which is
> quite steep) qualify?

I guess you know already that such _pricetags_ are interesting, but
price is not all.

I now put the following on the wiki page:

> Small, cheap boxes. Ok if e.g. box is missing (can be added later),
> but not if design goals are clearly different (e.g. price tag above
> $200).

> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Guenstige-QuadCore-ARM-Cortex-A9-Entwickler-Boards-1761213.html

Please, this list is in english, and actual pages have beter info, e.g.
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341359084

Those looks like exciting devices.  ...for geeks!

Seems to me that big shipping cost is inevitable due to that big cooling
block.  Which also makes it less likely to be relevant for mass
consumption IMO.

Running a quad-core ARM on a huge cooling block sounds geeky to me, and
not really sturdy.

But this just my opinion.  Please think for yourself, and share your own
opinions on this.