[Freedombox-discuss] What do you use your FBX for?

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Mon Dec 10 22:30:52 UTC 2012

> > I have been running a FreedomBox (a QNAP TS-119 NAS running Debian
> > Squeeze) for 1.5 years now. These are the things i use it for:
> >
> > 1) NAS.
> > 2) 3 * WordPress blog (freedomboxblog.nl, my brothers website and an
> > experimental website)
> > 3) Owncloud for sharing stuff with family and friends.
> >
> > I also use it to explore the GNUniverse, testing lots of services like
> > webservers, frameworks, VPN etc.
> >
> > Rob.
> > http://freedomboxblog.nl
>
> Your site http://freedomboxblog.nl is available to me by the
> usual method of telling Firefox to go there and show me the first
> page.
>
> Many people in New York City have a Net connection supplied by
> Time-Warner Cable.  The cable modem, and Time-Warner Cable's part
> of the Net, allows most incoming connections, but not all.
> Usually behind the cable modem, in the house of the Time-Warner
> Cable customer, there is a "home router".  By default this router
> allows no incoming connections.  How do you make available
> http://freedomboxblog.nl?

Incoming connections are blocked by a firewall.

Most cable modems operate in bridged-mode, in this mode both the WAN
(internet) and the LAN connector on the modem have the same IP address
and there is no firewall active between the WAN and the LAN connector.
If your cable modem only has one LAN connector then it's very likely
that it is operating in bridged-mode. Multiple LAN connectors indicate
that your cable modem is also a router.

For routers you have to enable port-forwarding of port 80
(HTTP-traffic). Routers have an internal admin-website where you can
change the settings (see the manual for the details) Note: you can only
forward a port to a static IP address.

My own cable modem operates in bridged-mode so i only had to tell my
home router to forward port 80 to the IP-address of my FreedomBox. When
i registered my domainname the provider gave me access to an
administrator website where i could fill in my WAN (internet) IP
address. Registering a domainname is very cheap (i pay 4 euro/year).

It is possible that Time-Warner blocks port 80 but i find this highly
unlikely. Someone else on the list with a Time-Warner Cable connection
with the same problems?

Rob.
http://freedomboxblog.nl