[Freedombox-discuss] Best way to get involved?

Michael Rauch l15t at miranet.ch
Tue Feb 7 20:45:48 UTC 2012

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 12-02-05 at 09:35pm, Michael Rauch wrote:
>> On 02/05/2012 07:35 PM, James Vasile wrote:
>>
>>> Every once in a while I post a list of tasks to this list.  I should
>>> put them on a web page.  Here are some current todos.  If you are
>>> interested in any of these, please contact me for more information.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Config layer design.  We would like the front end to talk to a middle
>>> layer that handles system config.  That middle layer then talks to
>>> the system and sets options (e.g. by twiddling text files).  No work
>>> had been done on that middle layer so far and it needs to be designed
>> >from the ground up.
>>
>> RedHat's Augeas project might fit in the config middle layer:
>> http://augeas.net/
>>
>> The website says: "Augeas is a configuration editing tool. It parses
>> configuration files in their native formats and transforms them into a
>> tree. Configuration changes are made by manipulating this tree and
>> saving it back into native config files."
>
> Augeas can be optionally used with Config::Model.  The Debian packaging
> of Config::Model::Backend::Augeas describes them like this:
>
>> Config::Model and Augeas are both configuration editing tool. Both
>> parse configuration files in their native formats and transforms them
>> into a tree. Configuration changes are made by manipulating this tree
>> and saving it back into native config files.
>>
>> Both Augeas and Config::Model rely on a tree to represent
>> configuration data.
>>
>> On one side, Augeas is able to load and write data while respecting
>> the structure and comments of the original configuration file. But
>> Augeas purpose is not to validate the semantic content of the
>> configuration file.
>>
>> On the other side, Config::Model is able to validate the semantic
>> content of the configuration file, but it will discard all comments
>> and will write back configuration data using a canonical order. Thus
>> the comments and structure of the original configuration file is not
>> preserved.
>
> More on Config::Model here: http://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade
>
> ...and its use with FreedomBox here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/BoxConfiguration

thank you for the pointers to the wikipages. how is the current status
of adoption of Config::Model in Debian? the wikipage states that it's a
proposal.

while reading about PackageConfigUpgrade, i realized that i don't get
those questions about modified config files in ubuntu. does anybody know
how configuration upgrades/merges are handled there?

thanks,
michael