[Freedombox-discuss] Some advice on moving Plinth forward?

Daniel Bryan danbryan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:47:46 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Not sure whether I've actually posted to the list before but I've been
closely following FreedomBox since late 2010.

I got a chance to talk to Bdale a little at Linux Conf. Au 2012 and I
decided to have a go at hacking on Plinth.

I'm keen to get started, and I've been discussing it with Alistair
Davidson, who's a UX guy.

Basically we want to rapidly prototype a simple end-user service
configuration system. Does anyone have an idea of what it'd be really good
to get up and running? Web server? Routing? GPG / other ident. stuff?

We'll eventually need to have some kind of spec for how a developer can
come along and contribute the configuration builder for a given service to
Plinth in a standard format, but for now I think it'd be best to focus on
usability and user experience.

Has anyone else been looking particularly at this stuff? I'm sort of a bit
lost for a start, but I have spare time and I reckon I'm a pretty killer
Python dev so if I can get some direction to push me over the edge that'd
be great :)

Daniel