[Freedombox-discuss] Condemos: FBx UI & Potential Distro

Sean O'Brien me at seandiggity.com
Mon Feb 27 16:32:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'll be pushing a new HTML5 template based upon Twitter's Bootstrap
tonight/tomorrow (with some minor bells and whistles from both
HTML5-Reset and HTML5 Boilerplate).

Right now in my repo (https://github.com/seandiggity/Plinth) there's
basically just an HTML5 version of the old template.  The changes I'll
be adding will give Plinth a new look, but I haven't altered the core of
the UI in any substantial way.  I figure it's best to lay the groundwork
and then go from there...even if we never revolutionize the navigation
etc., it will at least look more modern and follow emerging Web standards.

I encourage everyone to look at the great work that Twitter has done
with bootstrap: http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html

After I push the new template, try out Plinth on a phone browser (or
change your user agent string and resize your window).  You'll see how
much care they've put into the CSS to make it work in any environment.

Also, the current structure of Plinth makes Bootstrap easy to integrate,
and anyone can modify templates in a very straightforward way.

As far as a straight-up SVG UI is concerned, I think SVG is actually an
unwise choice to use as the only Web technology for our interface.  Too
few people know enough about SVG to modify/make their own
templates/themes or (to use a dangerous word) "apps".  On top of that,
the design tools for SVG are targeted at vector artists, not someone
coming up with a UI.  IMO, this thing should be hackable by most Web
developers (I'm biased of course because I am one).

For my part, I think SVG is awesome but I'm only familiar with it
through Inkscape.  Although I've seen some great demos doing animations
etc., I think we can better accomplish that level of interactivity with
HTML5's  Canvas and the great JavaScript libraries out there (jQuery etc.)

I love the way MediaWiki converts and resizes SVG --> PNG on-the-fly so
I only need one set of graphics for my wiki projects, and something like
that is worth integrating.  But I think we should try to use SVG for
what it's best at, vector art.  Speaking of, where can I get the SVG for
the new logo?

Best,
~ Diggity