[Freedombox-discuss] Virtual machine for compiling code for fb?

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 29 00:19:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 13:44 -0500, The Doctor wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 07:14 AM, Ben Martin wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of directions or hints for setting up something
> > like qemu-system-arm as a build environment for the freedombox
> > (dreamplug).
>
> Installing and running a crossdev environment for Arm would likely
> take up less RAM than running a virtual machine.  Have you done this,
> or are you investigating alternatives?

I've not gone down that route. I've had good success with the scratchbox
style for maemo (n810, n900, and n9). I have a personal preference for
single virtual machine images that I can turn on for specific tasks or
cross build environments.

I don't actually mind much on the build environment if it is CPU and RAM
heavy. 16gb and 4-8 cores can do a lot, even when burdened with
emulations.