[Freedombox-discuss] Yet another hardware option.

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 14:43:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:00:52 -0800, "Weaver" <weaver at riseup.net> wrote:

> Don't know if anybody has noted the existence of these yet, but you could
> just about hide them in a belt buckle.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/linux-computer-the-size-of-a-thumb-drive-now-available-for-preorder.ars

Speaking of mini-servers, was anybody able to pick up a Raspberry Pi for
testing when they went on sale today?  I've taken another look at it in
the last few days and it seems like it would make a reasonable base for
the FreedomBox.  It's got a Debian (or Fedora, or Arch) -based
distribution already installed on an SD card, but lacks wireless,
onboard storage, an internal clock, etc.  They really pulled a lot of
hardware out of this thing to get it to $25/$35.  However, it's still
the most cost-effective server I've seen, ever.

If you haven't already bought one today, they're already sold out.  They
sold out from two different suppliers in under two hours.  I'll be
ordering once they start shipping again to see what needs to be done to
turn it into a reasonable FreedomBox.

Nick