[Freedombox-discuss] FBx Configuration Management

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 00:36:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:23:55 -0400 (EDT), bnewbold at robocracy.org wrote:
> > I know there was some talk about using James's withsql [0] package for
> > at least storing custom application-specific settings (for, i.e., Plinth
> > and FreedomBuddy) but that doesn't really solve configuration management
> > problems.  I'd like to see something that can be hooked into Plinth and
> > built upon there, but maybe there are other, more important criteria.
>
> Does anybody know any details about said system? Searching the wiki and
> discuss mailing list archive didn't turn up anything helpful. Is there
> some other medium where development planning is taking place?

Two things:

1. It's not "withsql", it's "withsqlite", my bad.  WithSQLite is meant
   to be Python's Shelve module with an SQLite backend.  It's very
   simple to use in code::

       >>> import sqlite_db from withsqlite
       >>> with sqlite_db("filename") as db:
       >>>     db['aaa'] = {'test':'ok'}
       >>>     print db.items()

2. It works within Plinth, but I don't know how/whether it was planned
   for beyond Plinth.  That discussion should happen.  If you have time,
   please open a thread with your questions.  In Plinth, all the
   settings are saved to files in the plinth/data directory.  The
   documentation seems to be in the code:

       http://github.com/jvasile/withsqlite.git

Nick