[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Mon Jul 2 03:10:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:03:59 +0200, Markus Sabadello wrote:
>> They are now calling for proposals for the Access Innovation Prize
>> <https://www.accessnow.org/prize> where you can win $20k.
>>
>> ...Basically, the idea is that you could use any Unhosted-enabled web
>> application out there, and your data remains on your FreedomBox...
>>
>> What do you think..?
>
> If you need help integrating it into the Freedom-Maker repository, so
> it's installed out of the box, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.
> That would be very neat to see working.
>
> Nick

Cool, thanks! looking at
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=freedombox/freedom-maker.git;a=tree
it seems to currently have just the OS, right? And reading
http://freedomboxfoundation.org/code/ it seem that apart from that,
privoxy and plinth are already on there. Where exactly should we add
ownCloud (or pyUnhosted, if the lamp stack is too heavy) into that?

Has there been a decision about whether pagekite and owncloud should
be added to the image? As i said on another thread, i think we should
either choose to use Tor (probably with exit-node functionality
disabled by default), or not to use Tor. Has there been a decision
about that? If not, then now might be as good a time as ever to make a
few of those decisions. Even if it's just to officially decide that we
will simply do both versions (one with Tor and one without).

Cheers,
Michiel