[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

Sean Alexandre sean864 at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 00:03:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> > I see. Interesting. I have Time Warner and have to use the device
> > they provide. By default it's a wireless router with NAT. It can be
> > configured for just pass-through, though, which is what I've done --
> > "bridging mode".
>
> Is it a device that doubles as a dsl modem and wireless router?  (I
> forgot about those devices.)

Yes, it's a device that doubles as a wireless router and, in my case, a
cable modem.

> How hard was putting it in "bridging mode"?  Does Time Warner give
> you the l/p for the device?  And what exactly does "bridging mode" do?

It was pretty easy actually. It came with a web admin app, that has a
setting for "bridging mode." All I had to do was toggle the setting.

Bridging mode causes it to work at layer 2 instead of layer 3. So it
doesn't have an IP address anymore. It passes layer 2 traffic through
to my own router, which now has the IP address assignment from Time
Warner.

I don't know much about cable modems, so don't know what the layer 2
traffic looks like. Presumably it's based on MAC addresses, or
something like a MAC address??

Of course since the device no longer has an IP address, I can't get
back to the web app to untoggle the setting. I'd have to do a hard
reset.

[snip]