[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Tue Jul 3 01:25:10 UTC 2012

From: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

>>I like this idea but have close to no idea how technically
>>feasible it is.  Other threads on this list have suggested
>>there may be NAT issues behind standard home routers that
>>will be difficult for FreedomBoxes to automatically
>>navigate without technical intervention from someone with
>>more than Joe Public networking skills.  Could using the
>>FreedomBox itself as the router/firewall solve this issue
>>as well as increase privacy?
>

> It could if the ISP contract allows the user to hook up
> their own router and it isn't a double-NAT setup.

In Hungary (re:jancsika) it is completely common practice to
install routers on the home network.  Most providers only
give you an ADSL modem and some indeed prohibit sharing the
connection between computers.  However, people are not very
concerned about legal restrictions and get away with
sharing.  In the same way as the "head of the family" is
expected to know how to change the lightbulbs and fix the
blocked toilet, the HOF has to know how to set up a router.
I guess the situation is similar in many countries.

maxigas, kiberpunk

--

"We no longer have roots, we have aerials."

Magic: http://maxigas.hu/maxigas.gpg  ( UPDATED! )
FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614  0901 7879 63BC 287E D166