[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

Sean Alexandre sean864 at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 14:12:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:42:02 +0200
Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Or you could just put pfSense on ALIX.

Yes, pfSense would be perfect...or a scaled down and simplified version
of it. Although, it's FreeBSD versus Debian.

I see Debian's been ported to ALIX:

I couldn't tell if there's a ALIX board with wireless, and non-binary

I do see that the Dream Plug has wireless and two NICs:

The next version D2 Plug, though, only has one NIC. So it wouldn't
make a very good home router since the one NIC would have to go to the
WAN connection, and you wouldn't have one for local devices.

I did a bit of research on OpenWRT types of devices, and whether Debian
would run on them. It turns out it does, but with some problems.

Running Debian on ASUS WL-500G deluxe

The wireless driver is a binary kernel module (first problem), and it
needs a 2.4 kernel (second problem.)