[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Tue Jul 3 14:38:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Markus Sabadello
<markus at projectdanube.org> wrote:
> My understanding is that it would be a transparent proxy, i.e. it captures
> all connections.
> So you don't have to configure anything on the client devices, they get
> privoxyfied automatically if they use the FreedomBox wifi.

OK, so do i understand correctly that the hardware we're targetting
will emit a wifi signal? Presumably a person who buys a freedombox,
already has a router at home with wifi and probably also between 1 and
4 ethernet sockets. How will they deploy the freedombox? link the
freedombox and the router by ethernet (i guess that would dhcp without
need for any config on most routers, right?), and reconfigure their
laptop and phone to forget the old wifi network and start to use the
new freedombox wifi?

> Idealistic as it may be, I don't think the open WiFi movement is appealing

hm, it was worth a try ;)

> So we could start shipping simple Privoxy+remoteStorage+PageKite boxes now,
> and in a year or so we could tell people to download the update file and
> stick it into their box.

sounds like a plan to me :)