[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Tue Jul 3 14:45:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Markus Sabadello
> <markus at projectdanube.org> wrote:
> > My understanding is that it would be a transparent proxy, i.e. it
> captures
> > all connections.
> > So you don't have to configure anything on the client devices, they get
> > privoxyfied automatically if they use the FreedomBox wifi.
>
> OK, so do i understand correctly that the hardware we're targetting
> will emit a wifi signal? Presumably a person who buys a freedombox,
> already has a router at home with wifi and probably also between 1 and
> 4 ethernet sockets. How will they deploy the freedombox? link the
> freedombox and the router by ethernet (i guess that would dhcp without
> need for any config on most routers, right?), and reconfigure their
> laptop and phone to forget the old wifi network and start to use the
> new freedombox wifi?

Hmm yeah I think that's how I imagined it.
Of course then people would have 2 wifis, not sure if that's good or bad.
Good, because I think it would easily work with the setup that most people
have at home.
Good also, because you can always choose to NOT use the FreedomBox.
Bad, because it might be a more complex setup than it needs to be.
Anyway I would be interested in Nick's opinion.
Guess there is some overlap with the other thread here (FreedomBox as home
router).